Most of the international students who come to study in the United States will continue to work in the United States as OPT for one year after graduation. If there is still a plan to stay in the United States after one year, the most common way is to find a sponsor company to apply for a H1B work visa. This article will introduce basic knowledge of H1b visa, how to prepare for it and what is the lottery.
The H1B Visa (also known as h1b签证 ) is a highly desired non-immigrant visa which permits U.S. employers to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. If a foreign worker in H-1B status quits or is dismissed from the sponsoring employer, the worker must either apply for and be granted a change of status, find another employer or leave the United States.
There are serval basic steps of the application:
- Submit an employer’s tax number certification application to the Ministry of Labor (if the employer is applying for H1B for the first time), the Labor Department’s processing time is 3-5 working days;
- The lawyer communicates with the employer and decides on the position and job content of the application;
- Submit a Labor Condition Application (LCA) to the Department of Labor, and the Labor Department needs 7 working days to process
- Lawyer prepare forms and job description
- The employer reviews and signs the above documents prepared by the lawyer
- The employer and the applicant separately prepare other application materials (also known as h1b签证材料) and submit them to the lawyer for review.
- The lawyer receives the signature document and prepares the parcel.
What is H1B lottery (also known as h1b抽签)
In the past 5 years, including current fiscal year, we had H1B visa lottery. Usually There are 85000 quotas (6,5000 regular quota+ 20,000 masters quota) for H1B visa, but the USCIS received about 199,000 applications for H1B in 2018. The lottery is a Computer lottery, first 20,000 exemptions for master’s degree or above, and then 65,000 general places with college or higher education. There no fixed time for the lottery. However, computer lottery is usually happens within 2-3 working days after the receipt. Even being drawn does not mean getting approved H1B! All application must be reviewed and passed in order to get an approval for H1B. if the application rejected during the review phase, the fee will not be refunded.